Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Dance, Option in Dance Science
The BA in Dance, Option in Dance Science, offers a course of study combining dance with specific kinesiology and science courses for students interested in teaching careers in dance, dance medicine, careers in dance fitness, or graduate education in the areas of dance science or related dance studies. Students interested in the BA in Dance, Option in Dance Science should meet with Program Coordinator Brooke Winder no later than the start of their 2nd year (earlier for transfer students). To enter this program, students must pass DANC 260 (Functional Anatomy for the Dancer) and DANC 261 (Anatomy in Clay Laboratory) with a grade of B or better before submitting a Change of Major form to Chair Betsy Cooper.
For up to date degree requrments, visit the CSULB Catalog.
Student Learning Outcomes for BA in Dance, option in Dance Science
- Majors will be able to perform a qualitative anatomical analysis of standing alignment and key dance vocabulary, as well as provide exercises and cues for their improvement.
- Majors will be able to execute and cue Pilates repertoire designed to enhance dance performance, movement coordination and physical conditioning.
- Majors will demonstrate an understanding of key anatomical and biomechanical principles for preventing dance injuries and promoting optimal technique when training as dancers or teaching dance technique.
- Majors will attain an understanding of theoretical and practical scientific concepts of movement to help prepare them for pursuing further degrees or certifications in dance science or related fields.
- Majors will develop competency in modern dance and ballet, enabling them to pursue careers in education, health and fitness, professional arenas, or to further their academic dance pursuits.
- Majors will gain an overview of the historical, cultural, and scientific dimensions of dance.
- Majors will be able to demonstrate an understanding of the craft and aesthetic qualities of dance orally, practically, and in writing.